Wednesday, November 2, 2011

5 Tips To Go From Good To Great

*Disclaimer: My advice is to be applied at your own risk. Upon the conclusion of you reading this sentence, I will assume credit for all of your life's successes & accomplishments only, both past and future.*

  Good is cool, but great is better.  Why not be great?  Well, some people just can't without a little help from their friendly neighborhood ass hole (that's me).  So, I'd like to give you some general advice to help improve things in your meager, down-trodden life...ok, that's probably more the exception than the rule, but I know somebody fits that description.  I do, however, see those that patronize this blog being the social elite in their collective circles, not following random trends because it's popular, looking for more substance than relying on style, drinking their red flavored Kool Aid from a champagne flute...you know, as I am & do.  Still, a word to the wise never hurt anybody, since the wise know what to ignore.






In no particular order...

1) You miss 100% of the shots you don't take
  I've found myself saying this to people a lot lately.  Simply put, you have to step out there and give yourself a chance to succeed.  Opportunity is not in the habit of appearing out of no where and dropping into your lap.

2) Pick your battles
  This is easier said than done and is very broad in its application.  This even applies to battles that you can win.  All words aren't worth the breathe it takes to say them.  Sure, I've thought about calling some people out and pulling their card in arguments that I know I'd win...but when the dust settles, I just won a pointless argument and lost X amount of time that I could've used doing something fruitful.

3) Flush once for the bulk, twice for the remainder
  Self explanatory

4) Assumptions are like prison showers, to be used cautiously
  I find myself repeating this one daily.  Assumptions are dangerous.  They are necessary at times, but should be avoided when simple communication is an option.  From dating to work assignments, it's best to ask the necessary questions instead of making an assumption that can come back and make you 'booty hurt' (both metaphorically & physically).

5) Stop asking for advice if you have no intention on using it
  This is the dumbest shit ever.  I don't know it all, I'm just one man...some would say I'm crazy.  I'm not saying you have to take any of my advice, just stop asking for it if you know you aren't going to apply any of it.  I don't mind when someone has a situation they'd like to talk out and if I choose to give advice they can do with it what they want.  However, I know some people that will just harp on and on about their situation(s), asking what to do and when they receive some viable advice (probably from various people) they either do the opposite or do nothing.  Both of those scenarios typically end negatively & they end up asking for advice about it.  Generally, I don't care what you do, just don't ask me what to do.  If the shoe fits, pull it out your ass.

1 comment:

  1. As for 1. We've discussed this before, but the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again expecting the same result. Occasionally it’s ok to go for the assist and pass the ball.

    2.I picked this battle. Your own advice speaks for itself, "easier said than done". Most people find themselves caught between the stigmas of doing too much or not enough when discerning their battles. Fact of the matter is people need to want they want in the end. It makes you a happier person.

    3. Your best advice yet

    4. I'll give you this, communication is key. Let's be honest though most mofos these days are esol kids. Moral of the story we all speak different languages. I'm just trying to find the kid that speaks my language.

    5. I'm not sure you’re more discerning between the former and the latter. Either way take a step back and listen to definitive arguments. Often it appears those who give advice rarely are willing to accept advice themselves playboy.

    ReplyDelete