Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Debate: I Don't Have To Like You...Right?

  We all have friends (or think we do), and a part of life is meeting your friend's significant other.  However, like with other people we meet, it's up in the air whether or not we will like them...and I don't see a problem with that.  This could be a big problem or a small side note depending on how often you are forced to be in the same place, but it will come up at some point.
"Stupid Bitch" (Pic from Big Bang Theory courtesy of ausiellofiles.ew.com)

 
  Here's my take on it: Don't get it confused, hating your boy's girlfriend & wanting to give her a short push down a long flight of stairs is not cool.  But being able to be civil and exchange pleasantries with them is all that's required in my opinion.  I don't think you have to follow them on twitter, be their Facebook friend, or even have their cell number.  You just have to be able to co-exist with them when you are in the same location.  The last thing I think I should effect is my friend's relationship.  Now, I can give my opinion if they ask for it, but past that, I shouldn't be a strain on their thing.

  There have been many times when I had to deal with a friend's girlfriend that I thought was worth extermination.  I was able to keep it respectable...but both parties knew how I felt and the chick knew not to push any interaction with me too far.  Everybody wins.  Now, on the flip side, I have either already known the friends of my past girlfriends or I didn't meet them. In the case of the former, all parties already knew the situation and handled it appropriately, but I've never had an issue.  In the case of the latter, I never met them...so who knows what they thought about me, but I never had to deal with it & the effects that had on my relationship are unknown (to me at least...but isn't that all that matters?). 

  So what are your thoughts on getting along with your friend's significant others?  Is it a must that you be added to the Secret Santa list or do you just need to be able to not punch them in the face when you are in the same place?  Have you ever played a negative role in the relationship of one of your friends or vice versa?

3 comments:

  1. Yeah, I've been in a lot of situations where I try to be at least civil and let some things slide even if I disagreed, just so that I won't be that friend that they hate. It's awkward when your friend leaves for the restroom or something and you're left alone with them and all you can really say is, 'so...'.

    There has been situations in which I ended up getting along really well with the significant other and I think that helps when going out in large groups, especially if my other friends don't necessarily get along with him/her and they don't feel left out and such.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So do you think it's necessary to be friends with them? Do you think that if they can't be integrated into your social circle, it's a problem for everybody or just something that has to be dealt with?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tough to say. It's nice if I can get along with them, but I won't go so far as to say it's necessary. Depends on the person too. If they value having separate set of friends from their partners, then I guess that's ok, but I've also met some that needs to share every aspect of their life with their partner. If they not getting along is a problem, then it is a problem for them, not necessarily everyone. I also have friends that are engaged to people that don't really care if they get along with us or not.

    ReplyDelete