Sunday, November 21, 2010

The Social Media Filter

  Social media connects people in ways that previously weren't possible or weren't preferred.  My friend in Canada can go to my Facebook page and see my latest activity, but so can that creepy chick that I just accepted as a friend out of sympathy.  Also, a company that I'm applying for can search my profile to see what I do in my personal life before they hire me (That's the reason I take down the pics of me smiling at the camera while drunkenly mounting a chick bent over my coffee table before I interview). Now, with some properly applied privacy settings, the people that you aren't close to can only get a limited portion of your online shenanigans.  However, what about those you are close with?





  Family is another easy choice to filter as some people don't want Mom & Dad seeing their drunken pictures (Not me, I want my Mom to see my pics so she knows not to invite me out with her friends unless they bring plenty of drinks & their pretty daughters).  But what about those that are not related to you & are the closest to you?

  Before the rise of constant, public communication between friends & the display of personal information brought about by social networking websites, you had to be close with someone (or be close with someone that can't keep a secret) to find out the mundane or erotic details of a person's life.  "Girl talk" was limited to a phone call or text with the closest female friends.  Now, it can be found on profile walls and via Twitter conversation.  The same applies for guys. Now, the degree of personal information that's shared via these means varies greatly...but there's still a good bit of private talk being shared publicly.

  It seems that this is becoming more of the rule than the exception (maybe more so in the people I fraternize with online...tramps).  So should another filter be added in to protect privacy/sanity or is this new found public-intimacy that comes with telling our lives on the internet the next step in social evolution?  For example, should a significant other subscribe to your social media posts when you talk very frankly about your personal life?  The quick answer is yes.  As your significant other, that person is one of your best friends (or supposed to be...tramp) and this is information that is in the realm of what you could tell them.  However, if you are in the habit of having private conversations via this site, you might not want your significant other to see it (especially if you rant/vent about them).

  I've seen people mention that they couldn't date somebody if they read their blog, because after a few dates they would become a topic.  So if you start dating someone, should you block them?  Should you unblock them after you break up?  Should you customize your privacy settings so only your preferred friends see your most intimate updates?  Should you even bring your relationship/personal problems to a public social site to begin with?  Should you just regress to calling/texting/speaking in person with your friends when you talk about your private life?  Should you fart in elevators and post pics of the people's facial reaction as they smell it?  (Ok, that last one is something that I'm trying to cut back on, but it's fun)

  I raised a lot of questions, but ultimately, I only know how I handle it and I have my opinions about what is too much to put on social media sites.  What are your thoughts on this?  What do you do to maintain that private life - social life balance?

6 comments:

  1. If social indiscretion is the future of evolution, I don't want to evolve that way. Socially and rationally, anything a person decides to make public becomes their asset or liability. Privacy protects users from discriminatory judgments, while allowing them to enjoy their lives fully, success and failures. Theologically, I think this pattern of growth is useful in helping those who wish to maintain "the old privacy" aware of those who choose not to adhere to those ideals. It opens the conversation to include and reveal all those insecurities and "mistakes" which normally could be swept under the rug. Because the network is so saturated with every person wanting a few rays to shine, be recognized, and be heard, social attitudes have become more desperate and less private. Strict control of personal privacy laws will help lead to open communication among unfamiliar parties while keeping those unwanted gossipers, etc out of that circle of trust. Overall, I think it'll either make us all more accepting and tolerant of each other's humanity, or grossly prejudice, judgmental, and insecure. I prefer to be private but keep the truth talks open.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think social media is slowly but surely becoming a lot of people's new best friend. I tweeted this a few days ago actually. My Twitter TL is often filled with people venting about stuff I feel I shouldn't know (or frankly don't want to) if I only know you from Twitter or if I just met you and don't really know you that well. And if I do know you well and you are one of my close friends, twitter or fb is the last place I want to find out about what's going on in your life. In fact, I would be offended (and have been on a few occasions) if I had to find out information on twitter or fb that I feel should have been delivered to me personally. As far as dating, I honestly don't think it's the best idea. It definitely depends on the two people involved and their level of maturity. But I think most people can't handle the possibilities of things they will find on the site of the person they are dating and it can lead to many false accusations and feed into existing insecurities. I've heard many stories where women and men read an “inappropriate” comment on someone’s page and it leads to an argument, sometimes even a break-up. I've even experienced this myself sadly. Someone decided to write an inappropriate comment in the honesty box of one of my exes and he confronted me about it. He proceeded to accuse me of doing things to make whoever it was think it was okay to write such a comment in their honesty box. We got into a huge argument as he started to question all of my male friend relationships. What's worse is that he never even told me what the guy said in his honesty box. I couldn't believe I was arguing over something that happened on FB for one, and something I had no control over at that. I'm a pretty private person, so I'm not going to tell my life stories on such sites. But there are some people that will. To each its own, but don't get mad when you suffer the consequences of not filtering what you share about you with the world.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well of course we filter ourselves when we know that "mom" or "uncle" will get the FB update on their iphone. however the borderline between adding them in the firsr place or not...is a tough one. I would say that if you add them... u are being a good person and excepting all. if you deny... you are being disrespectful, while at the same time risking the "what do you have to hide" question...

    ReplyDelete
  4. i don't mind reading others foolishness. Let them post at their own expense! Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post I would like to thank you for the efforts you have made in writing this interesting and knowledgeable article. buy google reviews

    ReplyDelete