Monday, September 13, 2010

Extra Thought: Substantial

  I often think about life and how I want to move forward in it.  Every now and then, a certain word will stand out to me as a motivator/battle cry/attitude.  It humors me that a normal, every day word can randomly stand out and have a more profound meaning when you think about its definition. 

  The word that has stood out to me as of late is 'Substantial'.  There are a lot of things in life that we give our attention to, some more important than others.  My focus needs to be on those substantial things that will affect me the greatest.  I want everything that I'm associated with to be substantial. 



  Please do not confuse this with some pop culture buzz word that is having its 15 minutes of fame before the cool people abandon it and the parents adopt it and vow to sound cool by misusing it in conversations for years to come (Examples include "da bomb", "bling-bling", "Swag", "Haters", & "Fa Shizzle").  This is just a regular word that will be commonly used in everyday speech long after I get inspired by another word to try and improve myself...but my goal is to ensure that whatever I'm involved in, whoever I associate with, and whenever I am considered...it is substantial.
 
Substantial noun:
1 a : consisting of or relating to substance  
   b : not imaginary or illusory : real, true  
   c : important, essential
2: ample to satisfy and nourish : full
3 a : possessed of means : well-to-do 
   b : considerable in quantity : significantly great
4: firmly constructed : sturdy
5: being largely but not wholly that which is specified

No comments:

Post a Comment