Tuesday, November 23, 2010

The Social Media Filter pt. 2: My Stance

**House Keeping**
  My goal for creating the debate topic posts has been to present you all with a situation or observation and (hopefully) spark some conversation about it.  I try to state my opinion of it simply, and leave it up to the readers to discuss without me directing it too much.  In this case, I've been asked to elaborate on my opinion (*Waves to Hazel & Domo*), so this is that.

  I feel like we are losing sight of the power of social media.  I create a profile, upload a profile pic, enter some basic info, Google indexes it, then anybody that searches something similar can get access to that information.  That visibility is too often over-looked by this generation.  I know a lot of things that I shouldn't about people I don't know, barely know, or have never met.  People get tunnel vision when using social media, thinking that it's just them & their online friends in the circle of trust...when really, some 60 year old guy in his tighty-whities is reading your tweets about how you are about to finger-bang your night away (FTR, I wear boxers).



  I try to separate my real & internet lives.  I like having people all over the country with common interests that I can talk to every now and then...but they aren't high enough on my social ladder to know that I have a fantasy of having a two-and a half-some with a little person (*Serious face*).  Even if I did want to express that to my friends on a social network site, countless other people on my friends list or otherwise have the ability to see it...and I don't want that to happen. 

  Honestly, I have been and will continue to be offended when I find things out about my real life friends on the internet.  I feel like it's a slap in the face for me to find out you got engaged, are having a baby, got kicked out of school, etc. from a FaceBook status.  In my eyes, this information should be shared directly to your close friends.  Only a select group of people knew that I had surgery a few months ago (if you didn't know...step your game up so you get inside information before the rest of the plebeians do).  I don't like the idea of all of my life being known to everyone...certain things are just none of your damn business.

  When it comes to relationships, current and former, I continue to govern my actions based on the previously mentioned principles of privacy.  I don't bring my troubles to the internet (...all the time, anyway).  One reason for this is that I don't think most people care.  Sure, people love to get in other people's business...but you probably don't care if I think one of my ex's is too stupid to avoid being the human equivalent of a jizz rag (am I joking? If you were higher on my friend ladder, you would know).  If I wouldn't want to see somebody talk about it online, I won't talk about it online.  So, with that being said, I don't have a problem with any significant others subscribing to me, because I'm not going to say anything that I feel they shouldn't see.

  This topic and some of the points made by @Bereolaesque about how text messaging is crippling effective communication have made me reconsider why I prefer to be more direct (Or try to be, at least).  In order to properly establish or re-establish bonds with people I care about, I will be more selective with how I communicate with them.  I won't have personal conversations with them via @ mentions.  I won't waste time trying to get my point across in a text when it will be much easier & richer to just call them.  I won't let the vastness of social networking stand between the close friendships that I have developed or am developing.  I want to do my part to look past the avatar & get to know the person sitting behind the keyboard.

5 comments:

  1. Different strokes for different folks.

    I for one, don't care much about other people knowing a lot of details about my life. Simply because I don't feel I have much to hide, but then again, I'm also not sharing my deepest thoughts and feelings that may offend some people publicly. Things I don't want the people I barely know on Facebook but wants to add me as a friend knowing about.

    But on the other hand, it has also allowed me to continue stay in touch with folks from middle or high school that I would have easily lost touch with if not for social media. Sure, picking up the phone and calling them is easy, but sometimes that 12-13 hour difference in time can make it very challenging to do that on a continuous basis. Then again, not everyone have friends with such extreme time differences, so this probably won't apply to most people.

    I think social media makes it easy to stay in touch with a lot of people, if that's what you want (i.e. me.). There are people I want to stay in touch with via phone or email, but because they don't seem to respond or always too busy to answer the phone, social media is the convenient alternative.

    It takes a lot of time to maintain a high level of relationship with people and if you prefer to do that only with a select few, then clearly social media isn't the way to go. I do hate finding out via Facebook that a friend got engaged (wait, he/she was going out with him/her?!) or got preggo and how their grand/parents/siblings passed away and such. Perhaps they forgot to tell me since we haven't met in a while, perhaps I'm not that important in their lives, perhaps I'm not really their friend, etc. I don't think it's black and white like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That, and I want to add my personal opinion that there are a lot of stupid people using social media or don't know how to use it. Complaining about your boss/work and bragging about getting wasted or getting high (and then complain about getting busted), bitching on something but almost always never about anything specific (to get attention, mainly sympathy from 'friends') and just posting results or accomplishments of games or trivia are just plain silly. Sadly the 80/20 rule is dominant, where the 80% of noise, mainly narcissism, self righteousness and as you mentioned, tunnel vision makes the 20% of good look like it's not even worth putting up with everything.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. *waves back* :) I totally agree with a lot of what you said. However, when it comes to dating, not everyone has that mindset. And even still, you not writing anything you feel they shouldn't see doesn't mean they won't see something that they will have a problem with and confront you on. I'm not saying to censor what you say because of this, but like I said before I think it depends on the two people dating and their understanding/communication (or lack of). Definitely agree with the part about @Bereolaesque (whose tweets I love). I think your efforts are applaudable Drizzy! Even though I didn't know you a few months back I guess I better step my game up huh? I agree with the previous comment too about people not knowing how to properly use social media. Perhaps someone (*clears throat while saying "Brodie") should write a book on social media etiquette . . .

    ReplyDelete
  5. I second the suggestion mentioned above.

    ReplyDelete