Wednesday, August 18, 2010

So you blog now???

As of this post, yes.

 Over the past decade social media & instant communication has exploded. From chat rooms, to MySpace, to texting, to Facebook, to Blogging, to Tweeting...each medium opened up a whole new level of interactivity between friends and strangers.  When blogging first got popular, everybody had an "internet journal" of some sort, sharing their favorite recipes, masturbatory strategies, and what have you. When Twitter came along and introduced "Micro-Blogging", it captured the hearts and short attention spans of the casual bloggers.  Now free from the thought and effort that is considered to go into creating a meaningful, thought-provoking or self serving blog post: these users were free to tell the world about what was happening in their life at this exact moment...no matter how mundane or trivial...in 140 characters or less.



  I'm sorry, but that's not for me.  I joined Twitter, I tweet, I follow friends & celebrities...but I don't like it for reasons that I'll get into on a future post (That's the hook to get you to come back and read again *wink, wink*). I'm still active, but I feel like it's out of necessity to keep up with my friends that love it.

  I remember the days when my friends would create weekly blogs about campus (VT) & pop culture events and incite quality dialog about important or just entertaining issues (Shout out to SydMac and the MacBlog...May it continue to be remembered fondly). I have had a few other instances that let me have deep conversations/debates with the interwebs (Shout out to the old discussion board in the Cool Kids - GTB group on Facebook) but they have been too few and fleeting.

  I know what you're thinking, "Hey smart guy, why don't you have debates with real people face to face?" Well, I do, but I only have a small number of friends that I can debate things with and they are usually better served sticking to their topic of expertise (Sports, Black Culture, Politics, Pop Culture, etc.).  Having a debate online just opens the topic up to a broader audience without having to worry about losing any valuable points on the topic, shouting over people or laughing in the face of the ignorant.

  So, if I had to sum the reason why I am starting a blog into a tweet, it would read as follows: "My thoughts are too important to be tossed into the ocean of bile that resides on Twitter & I want 2 be able 2 see responses to my ramblings"

Am I being vain for wanting my thoughts, rants, criticisms, and justified insults to be cataloged so they can easily be revisited?

4 comments:

  1. I didn't want to give off the wrong impression about the blog. Maybe that name will resurface as a post label or frequent topic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. in more words then i cared to write you hit the nail on the head

    ReplyDelete
  3. nope, you're not being vein at all, unless you are flowing through bodies carrying oxygen back to someones heart?? idkk.

    you are probably being vain, but then again, what's new? :)

    ReplyDelete